Automata was founded on the principle that humanity is at its best when thinking. That means freeing humanity from the tyranny of repetitive, mundane jobs.
Today Automata is building a world-class company to disrupt the life science industry with our new core product that automates life science workflows across diagnostic, drug discovery and synthetic biology labs. Our mission is to empower scientists with accessible lab automation tools that are fast, flexible, and cost-efficient.
This role is an exciting opportunity to become involved in a technological advancement that is benefitting thousands around the world, with this number growing.
To help us on our mission, we’re looking for a Software Engineer to join one of our Digital teams where you’ll be working across a full stack (Front-End, Back-End, IoT or a combination of those) of cloud and device-based platforms that configure, control and monitor all of the devices and systems that run our life-sciences solutions, not to mention our very own robot, Eva.
We would like to find driven engineers who are excited by technical challenges and love working as part of a team. No robotics experience needed but curiosity and passion are appreciated!
Flexible working available for this role as long as you can be in the office for at least one day a week and whenever necessary.
Engineering at Automata
- Automate, automate, automate - we’re an automation company and hate doing things manually. We automate anything that can be automated, increasing process reliability, deployment velocity, development velocity and quality.
- We help each other - We all own the product and better work happens when we work together. We share risks and improve the product to deliver value to our customers.
- Keep it Simple - We avoid unnecessarily complicated code. We use off-the-shelf tools, technologies and libraries instead of writing it all ourselves. We prefer frequent, smaller releases over fewer, larger ones.
- Just decide already - Done is better than perfect. We make decisions based on imperfect information and believe that making the wrong decision is better than making no decision at all.
- Measure what you make - We live and breathe data. We instrument our code to track how it performs. We automate our testing so we know it works. We measure how our product behaves in the hands of our customers and use that data to inform what we do next.
- Nothing Is Sacred - We regularly reflect on our product and our ways of working. Using our learnings we change our approach to delivery and our product.
How do you fit in?
- You’re curious and passionate about automation. No robotics experience is needed
- You’ve got at least 3 years of professional experience working in cross-functional product engineering teams
- You love to code, and we’re not really fussed about what is. We currently use Go, TypeScript and Python across the stack and believe that knowing how to reason through problems is more important than the language you use to solve them
- You’ll contribute to solutions in specific parts or across the entire stack. Some of our software runs on Eva itself or other IoT devices and some of it runs in the cloud and you’ll be able to contribute to any and all of it if you want to
- We’re agile (with a small a). We’re not big on formality or frameworks and use the tools that suit us best. You’re comfortable with change and believe that moving fast and building well-tested software quickly and iteratively in a team that is constantly improving and learning helps us deliver the most value for our users
Why should you apply?
- You’re tired of working for yet another fintech or building yet another e-commerce app selling stuff no one knew they needed (and probably don’t)
- You want to have fun working with a robot in a fast-paced environment alongside other caring and passionate people
- You want to have an impact in ways you’ve never had before … we’re a small, young company with lots of opportunities to grow your career
More reasons to apply
- Learning & Development 🎓 £1,000 per year to spend as you wish
- Holiday 🏖️ 25 days per year (PLUS we close the office between Christmas and New Year)
- Private Healthcare ❤️ Vitality Health is available to all of our permanent employees
- Flexible working 🤹 Blended approach to office and WFH
- Employee referrals 💰 £1,000 per referral hired from your network
- Share Options Scheme 📈 Every team member gets a pot of stock option after probation
- Keeping you fed 🥙 Our kitchen is always stocked and we order lunch in on Fridays
- Dog-friendly offices 🐶 Lola, Evie and Alfie are the current resident pooches
What is the Process?
Phone interview - 30 mins with the hiring manager
Code test - HackerRank & 15 min Personality Strengths Assessment
Technical Interview - 1.5 hours with hiring team
Final Interview - 30 minutes with VP of Engineering