You didn’t get into UX to make e-commerce sites better, you did it to make an impact on humanity. Now’s your chance to do that.
We automate labs in Life Sciences. We enable scientists to do more of the work that matters. Our impact means drugs coming to market years earlier, diagnostic testing at speeds never before imagined. And we’ve just raised $50 million in series B funding to match our ambitions.
Why is this role important for Automata?
Mission critical to this will be how our customers, biotech labs, interact and use our software and hardware stack. The Principal UX Role is pivotal. You will be empowered into a company where UX is considered a cornerstone to success and have complete autonomy to discover, develop and build out. The lab industry is ripe for disruption. Your work will have an impact. For example, automation can help cancer research teams quadruple the amount of testing a year to hopefully discover more drugs that can fight cancer. The product interface you work on will be critical in achieving this.
This role is an individual contributor role initially, with the scope of defining and leading the UX design of the software in partnership with the Product Manager as the company grows. You will need to be able to influence your teammates, as well as colleagues, stakeholders, and key executives, through your use of user centric design backed by data and research insights.
Conduct customer research interviews and shadow customers using the platform, to gain insight into pain points and opportunities.
Carry out an audit of the current platform, contextualise it against areas of friction for users and develop a strategy to address these shortcomings.
Design workflows and wireframes to define how users interact with robots and the platform, balancing ease of use with technical feasibility and speed of execution.
Work collaboratively within a cross functional team of product managers, front-end and full-stack engineers.
Make decisions with incomplete information, working autonomously and with accountability for your decisions.
Conduct usability tests to incorporate user feedback during the design and development process.
Evangelise good design principles within the company.
5+ years of Product Design experience (UX/UI) with a history of designing intuitive software solutions for complex user interaction challenges.
A strong portfolio demonstrating your understanding of usability heuristics and design. principles, execution capabilities, and your approach to communicating design intentions to collaborators.
A demonstrated ability to break down complex problems into strategic, incremental and user-centered solutions that connect to long-term business goals.
Ability to work on 2-3 projects at the same time, from inception (problem discovery) to release and customer iteration on feedback.
Comfortable working embedded within engineering teams in an agile manner.
Prior experience with life-science, automation or other technical software/hardware products not required but of advantage.
Please include a link to your portfolio in your application. Applications without a portfolio will not be considered
Reasons to apply
- Learning & Development 🎓 £1,000 per year to spend as you wish
- Holiday 🏖️ 25 days per year (PLUS we close the office between Christmas and New Year)
- Private Healthcare ❤️ Vitality Health is available to all of our permanent employees
- Flexible working 🤹 Blended approach to office and WFH
- Employee referrals 💰 £1,000 per referral hired from your network
- Share Options Scheme 📈 Every team member gets a pot of stock option after probation
- Keeping you fed 🥙 Our kitchen is always stocked and we order lunch in on Fridays
- Dog-friendly offices 🐶 Lola, Evie and Alfie are the current resident pooches
What is the process?
- Introduction interview - 30min with hiring manager (Remote)
- Online personality assessment - 20min
- 2nd (Onsite) Interview - 2hrs Portfolio Review and Workshop with wider team
- Final Interview - 30 minutes with CEO (Remote)